Wednesday, March 4, 2009

ER trip turns into the OR

Let me set the story. Last Friday night while Ken was on call, Tressa broke or shattered a drinking glass from the counter onto the floor. Me (being a good mom that I am) I asked her is she was okay and then cleaned it up thinking a got all the pieces. Apparently not!

Last night after we had cleaned the kitchen from dinner, I turned off the kitchen light and went into the Toy Room to tidy up her toys. When all of the sudden, Tressa just starts screaming and crying at the top of her lungs. I rush into the kitchen, thinking she may have peed her pants. Sometimes when she doesn't make it to the bathroom she reacts that way. From my observation, she was dry. I proceeded by asking her what was wrong. By then, Ken had ran in with Katelyn in his arms. Tressa looks at me and points to her nose. She had stuck something up her nose and it happened to be a piece of glass. I am guessing from a couple of nights ago. Ken, being the good doctor that he is, tried to get it out with a pair of my tweezers. We were unable to grasp it and then her nose started to bleed.

To make a long story short, we headed to the ER. My friend came and took Katelyn back to her house for the night, because there were 15 patients in front of us. About 2 hours later, they send us to the MEC department. There the doctor tried to find the glass, but wasn't able to see it. Ken also tried to see what he could see earlier, but he was also unable to see. So the doctor decided to call up to the OR.

They were able to get us up to the OR within a half hour. Tressa and I got to ride in a wheel chair up to the OR. There the nurses gave her a book and a quilt to take home. While I was gone to feed Katelyn and put her to bed and come back she was out of recovery. They had to sedate her and then the surgeon went in and was able to remove 2 tiny pieces of glass that had gone farther up her nasal. To end on a good note, everything went real well. She was a trooper. Hopefully this has not traumatized her too much that she will be able to go and see daddy at his work. We were released from the hospital around midnight. I was able to get a good nights sleep and this morning, Tressa and I went and picked up Katelyn.

Here is a picture of Tressa in her hospital scrubs after we got home. She didn't want to take them off. In the picture, her sedative is still wearing off and she is using her hands to quack like a duck. I just hope that it will be quite awhile before we have this experience again or any other in the ER or OR for that matter.

8 comments:

Tiona said...

Not fun! I'm glad everything worked out okay.

kevin and angie said...

ah!! scary! I am glad that she is okay, and didn't spend much time at the hospital... but how stressful!!

Keli said...

Poor thing! That's so sad! But it's pretty funny, too. Kids!

Michelle said...

I look back at it now and I just laugh. I definitely made mother of the year didn't I?

Eliza said...

Oh gosh, scary! These kids are always throwing us for a loop! Glad everyone's okay!

Hester said...

Scary! Just how do you think she got said glass up her nose?

Reading Family said...

Poor little girl...and poor parents having to go through something that scary and stressful! Glad that all turned out alright!

The Royal Family said...

Sorry to hear that happened... I am glad that everything is ok and that it's all over now!