Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Allergic to Exercise?

I don't know about you but did you know that you can be allergic to exercising. I was reminded yesterday by my hubby, the doctor.

Yesterday, I decided to go run on my treadmill (first time on it since Katelyn was born). I know, I know, 5 months to late (but I have been enjoying my Wii Fit to much). About 5 minutes into my workout, I started itching all over my body especially my legs and arms. I could not take the itching anymore. I quit my workout and went upstairs to do some scratching. Ken looked at me and asked "Done already?" I told him that I was itching like crazy. He told me to take a Benadryl, wait 20 minutes then go back down and finish the workout. I looked at him with a confused look. He said that I am allergic to exercise. He went on to tell me that some bodies tend to release more histamines into the body while exercising causing itching (an allergic reaction).

I know I thought he was crazy too. It just sounds like an odd excuse "I can't. I am allergic to exercise". That would work great in Gym class. Don't you think? Believe it or not, it totally worked. A benadryl before exercising keeps the itch away.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I'm allergic to anything but watching TV.

;)

Tiff George said...

Oh my heck - that is hilarious! I had no idea it was possible, either. Glad your hubby found a remedy for you!