Thursday, September 4, 2008

Another Allergy

For those of you who don't know, Tressa has a soy allergy. Well, as of Tuesday night she now has another allergy to add to the list. Tuesday night, we went shopping and decided to buy some Reeses' Puff cereal. When I got home, I read the ingredients and found out that it did not have soy in it. Tressa had a little bowl and she loved it.

Later that night, we had read scriptures, said prayers and went up to brush her teeth. She usually fights us at night when we brush her teeth because she just wants to suck the water out of her toothbrush. She was a little bit more fussy than usual, so Ken put her in time out. After her time out, Ken went to get her and noticed that she had been rubbing her eye. Her eye started getting swollen and she was breaking out in hives around her nose bridge, mouth and on her neck. So of course I go playing detective and look over the ingredients to the cereal. We have concluded that she is allergic to......drum roll please......PEANUTS!!! My poor child, she definitely gets these allergies from Ken's side of the family. Hopefully, she will grow out of her soy allergy and luckily her peanut allergy isn't life threatening. We will go get her tested when she is a little older and the test is more accurate. As of right now, we are just going to avoid peanuts all together.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Bummer! I'm sorry.

Theo is also allergic to peanuts. He had a reaction about 6 months ago, so we got him tested and it was positive. But we'll test him again when he's 3 or so. My hope is that he grows out of it (about a 1 in 5 chance, according to my ped), because that is not a fun thing to deal with.

It can be a pain, because SO many things have peanuts in them, or are processed with peanuts. Soy and peanut is a double threat--again, I'm sorry, and good luck! At least you're already prepared with the epipen, etc.

spewdfree said...

Sorry to hear about your daughter. My 19 month old son is allergic to soy,peanuts,eggs,wheat and dairy. I started a website www.spewdfree.com

I thought you might be interested in it because all the recipes are free of soy,peanuts,eggs,wheat and dairy.
Thanks
Heather