Monday, May 5, 2008

One down, Two to go!!!

That's right, today was my first day of jury duty. I was summoned to report at 1:00 this afternoon. For those of you who have not had the honors of serving your country in the court system, here is a rundown of what happens. First, you sit in an assembly room (which feels like sitting down near your gate terminal waiting for your flight) with bathrooms and a little kitchen for you to make your lunch. Second, they have you watch a little video about how important our roles are as a juror and what an honor it is to be a juror. They also gave us a little pamphlet to read on the process starting from when you enter the jury assembly to the jury selection and your role as a juror till the end of the trial. How exciting, I know.

Within an hour of being there, the jury manager read off a list of names for jury selection in a felony trial. Guess what, I was one of the lucky people. Seriously though, it felt like I was being sent to the principals office. Me and 30 to 35 other jurors followed the bailiff to the courtroom. We stood outside in the hall of the courtroom to wait for the judge. We waited 30 minutes in the hall only to have the bailiff come out telling us that the case was resolved and we were no longer needed. So we go back to our seats and wait for the next jury list. Luckily, I was not on the list and it happened to be the last trial of the day. So the ones sitting in the assembly room left at 3:00, while the others (bless their hearts) had to go in for jury selection.

Well, one day done and gone, now I just have two left. I have to be there tomorrow at 8:45 for another long day of waiting to be needed. There is going to be a civil trial, 2 traffic trials and a felony trial scheduled for tomorrow. I will keep you updated on my journey of serving my country through the great jury system. On a good note, I get paid $15 a day and ten cents a mile in my travels. Woo-Hoo!!!!!!

1 comment:

traci said...

Wow!
In Indiana if your group gets called the night before you go in. Sit in a room -no kitchen no amenities- wait for your juorer number to be called. If you aren't needed (or aren't chosen for the first jury to get called for) - good-bye! You served. And they send you a check in the mail. It's small, but it covers the baby sitter.