Tuesday, May 6, 2008

3 turned in to 2!!!

Well I am officially done serving on jury duty. Today I was selected as a juror in a felony case the charge was attempted burglary. It was an open and closed case. The defendant attempted to steal a bag of money from the back office by hitting the manager. He then tried to flee, however, the manager and another employee were able to tackle him and pin him down until the police were on the scene. There the defendant was arrested for the crime.

It opened with opening statements followed by the testimony of 2 witnesses. Both witnesses identified the attacker as the defendant sitting across from them. Following the testimonies, there was a 30 minute recess. The jury returned to the courtroom to hear closing statements and instructions from the judge on how to determine a verdict. When we as the jury enter the jury room to deliberate, we came to a decision with no argument within 2 minutes. After we came to a verdict, we presented the verdict to the judge and from there we were thanked for our service and released from jury duty for the remainder of the week. I guess once you have been through a trial during the week, you are no longer required to report to the jury assembly.

I found the whole experience to be educational and nothing like you see in Law & Order or any other Court TV show for that matter. I can now honestly say that I had my day in court.

Have any of you had any experience with jury duty in the past?

2 comments:

Reading Family said...

I haven't had any jury experience yet (possibly in June), but I sure deal with the court system a lot with my job. And the actual court process is NOTHING like any tv court show!!! I can't stand to watch tv court shows because they are so dramatized and not what really happens. Lucky you for it only being two days!

MikeG Family said...

When we lived in Rexburg, I got some questionnaire in the mail that I was to fill out and send back for them to see if I was qualified for jury duty. Lucky for me, Mike graduated about 2 months later, and we moved to Utah. I know my time will come some day, but I hope it's not anytime soon!