Thursday, January 8, 2009

Advice well needed

For those of you who haven't heard, I have been trying to potty train Tressa. We are doing well so far since Thanksgiving. She is staying dry throughout the day and her naps. We still haven't concurred the night, not quite yet. Right now I am having issues with her pooping in the potty. I got her to go once, but since then she refuses. Only seconds after I have her sit on the potty, she goes and hides away in the corner of her toy room. Next thing I know she is coming to me telling me she is stinky. I am about to give up (I won't) but still it is frustrating.

Is there any advice out there that someone can give me? I have tried everything from cheering her on to bribing with a treat bucket of fun big treats not just the one little skittle. Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Well, today is going to be another fun filled (hopefully not in her panties) day. Wish me luck. It is a new year and possibly a new beginning to her becoming a big girl. So my new year's resolution is to not get mad and frustrated and get Tressa potty trained. Maybe after that, I can set another resolution, but for now this will definitely take up most my time.

6 comments:

Keli said...

Pooping is hard. Don't rush it. Let her poop in a pull up while sitting on the potty. Other than that, I can't give any advice. Maggie poooped her pants until she was 4. So what do I know?

Betsy said...

Hazel had a difficult time with this as well. She would hold it until she was constipated and then it would hurt and so she would wait and hold it and it was a vicious cycle. So I tried something my friend did with her daughter that had similar troubles.

I bought 5 or 6 small toys (I bought the polly pocket disney princesses) Then I set them on top of the TV where Hazel could see them. Then each time she pooped in the toilet and not her pants, she could open one. This has worked so well that now she tries to poop every time she goes. So we changed the program to earn toys. I had tried treats, stickers, $1 store prizes, etc. But the big toy is the only thing that has worked. It took about 6 weeks for her to get to this point. But don't give up.

Also make sure that she is getting enough fiber so that the problem isn't a fear/pain issue. Some kids just take a little longer. Don't make it a big deal, don't yell. It doesn't help and usually makes the problem worse. It will happen eventually.

Nicole said...

With traveling/moving and such Elle is just now potty trained officially, well we still put on pull ups at night because although she usually wakes up dry there are those fun rare occasions and I'm not about to do all the bedding every week:). As for no. 2, It took her a while but then she realized she didn't want to be dirty anymore. I think this comes after about age 3. One of my friends just doesn't even start until then, and now I see why. Kids change so much from 2 1/2 to 3, it's amazing as you well know from 1 to 2, etc... Anyway! Why didn't you tell us you started a blog!? We'll have to get in gear as well, I've been procrastinating, too much else going on and I'm too much of a perfectionist. Hope you are doing well, looks like you enjoyed Christmas. Good luck with those two cuties and send our love to your family!

Nicole D

traci said...

My friend swears by a childrens book titled "Everybody Poops". She read it to her daughter and the problem was solved.

I have yet to try this approach - the title just throws me off. Jeff has read the book and he thinks it's great.

Best of luck. We almost had Natalie there and then she got sick which turned into constipation which turned into the runs. So we'll start over next week. That's just the way it goes.

Best of luck.

The Royal Family said...

Good luck! I was trying to get Adlanna to learn about the potty, but she seems clueless... she loves to sit on the potty but not to do anything signifigant. LOL

grannybabs said...

It's been so long ago - and all those who say, "Don't rush it, it will happen" - well, I'm here to tell you, it will. And it will happen when she cares more about it than you do!