Wednesday, October 8, 2008

All by myself!!!

Well, I am now officially on my own during the day raising a two year old and a newborn until my mom and dad come at the end of October. I don't know what I am getting myself into. I have been really lucky to have my mother-in-law with us for as long as she did. She headed home this morning to take care of her own chores and life. We are truly thankful for all of her help and patience. She did all the household chores, played with Tressa and made us some wonderful food. It is going to be an interesting road that I am heading in. If any of you have advice on raising two kids, let me know.

Here are some pics of Tressa helping Mimi unwrap caramels for the caramel brownies. Mimi called Tressa her little cooking buddy. Another picture of Tressa and Katelyn with Mimi this morning before she left.

Thank you Mimi for all of your help. We will miss you!!!

2 comments:

grannybabs said...

There is nothing quite like that moment when the help leaves - and you are on your own!!

Don't worry about "getting back to normal" - there is new "normal" and it will take a while to find it!

traci said...

Best of luck! My best pieces of advice are:

not to blame everything on the baby. (ex: Yes, you're tired because the baby was awake all night, but just tell her you're tired.)

Don't make the baby off limits all the time. That seems to enforce jealousy. But have a "safe" place for the baby where Tressa knows when she's there not to touch her (ex: swing or pack n play)

ENJOY IT!!! There is nothing like it.

One more piece of advice my friend gave me right before I had Brenden. Nursing toys. Weird? Not by a long shot. It's a small bucket (or simply a few things) that Tressa is only allowed to play with when you are nursing Katelyn. Made a world of difference for me. I made them things I could do with Jeremy while nursing, but they can be anything. The trick? Only let her use them while nursing. When the baby's done, so are the nursing toys.