Monday, September 17, 2007

Just when you thought nothing could get any worse.

After the dramatic experience with Tressa throwing up all over me. I thought nothing could get any worse. Boy, was I wrong. The following day, our ward was putting on the annual ward pig-nic about 20 minutes out of the city. Ken had to go because he is on the activity committee. I was debating whether or not I should take Tressa for an hour or so, just to get out for some fresh air. I really should have followed my gut and not taken her. For one reason, while we were just getting down to eating dinner, I noticed a bunch of bees flying around us. I told Ken that the bees are annoying and I was worried of them being around Tressa. Again, Ken said, "There just bees, they aren't hurting anything." Boy was he wrong. Yes, Ken can be wrong at times. Before long, I look down and Tressa is holding a bee with her right hand. I look at her left hand and she has a stinger in her index finger. My guess is she saw the bee stinging her and picked the bee up off her finger. I tried to get the stinger out, but was unsuccessful at getting it all out.

Now her finger starts to swell, we are asking around hoping someone has some tweezers. We were able to track some down, but we were not able to get the stinger out. Now her finger is getting bigger and her hand is starting to swell. We put some mud on the stinger, didn't work. Finally, we decided to just go into town and call the pediatrician. Before we left, Ken and the Elders Quorum President gave Tressa a blessing. When we got home we gave Tressa some Benadryl (which we had to get on the way home because we didn't have any at the house). The pediatrician returned our page and she said to go buy some Adolf meat tenderizer. Who would have guessed?

Ken went and got some tenderizer. By George, it actually worked. FYI: If you ever want to skip a trip to the hospital just use meat tenderizer for a bee sting. I guess it has somewhat the same effect as the mud.

Anyway, Tressa is doing much better this morning. We kept her home from church yesterday and pumping her with medication. She is getting back to her old self. She is getting into everything. It is good to have her back.

4 comments:

Keli said...

I'm confused, I thought Ken was a pediatrician? Silly Ken. I guess now he'll know so he can tell his patients. Glad she's doing better.

Michelle said...

I guess when it comes to your child being the patient, you step back and let the pediatrician take care of it. I guess it is procedure. That is what Ken's tell me.

traci said...

Boy, Tressa is sure keeping you on your toes these days. Hopefully everything will be okay soon and return to normal.

grannybabs said...

When Eliza was three, we were at the nursery school carnival and she was stung by a bee. There was a doctor there and he asked for - and found - some meat tenderizer - they were having a barbeque at the carnival, so there was lots of it around - and it worked great!

See - you should have called me!!